Friday, January 29, 2010

B.L.E.S.S.E.D.

Yep, I'm going to do it. I'm going to fall prey to using periods after each letter to emphasize a word that I'm coming to know all too well. B.L.E.S.S.E.D. There I've done it again and I can see why it's so satisfying.

I see this way of expression used a lot on Twitter. I immediately adopted it as my own. Twitter has exposed me to lots of neat stuff, but that's for another post. This morning I want to stick to the post that woke me up at 3:00AM and just had to get out of my head. Or maybe it was the two Diet Cokes before bedtime that woke me. I digress...

Snipped from Dictionary.com:
bless⋅ed  /ˈblɛsɪd
–adjective
1. consecrated; sacred; holy; sanctified: the Blessed Sacrament.
2. worthy of adoration, reverence, or worship: the Blessed Trinity.
3. divinely or supremely favored; fortunate: to be blessed with a strong, healthy body; blessed with an ability to find friends.
4. blissfully happy or contented.
5. bringing happiness and thankfulness: the blessed assurance of a steady income.

Well there's a formal definition of the word; didn't really do much for me though #4 & #5 were getting close. I am not a walking dictionary or a master of any language, especially my own, however, I do have something to say about being blessed. Let's say this post is a personal expression of just how I got to be so blessed.

It certainly wasn't from the wise, mature, sound decisions I made in my adult life. It's been quite to contrary actually. It's been found in the learning from my countless mistakes that has brought me to this place. And by place, I am referring to a state of mind. I digress, again...

I didn't want a post that dragged on and on so here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to have some fun with this and keep it simple. Let's see how it turns out, shall we?

B.L.E.S.S.E.D. - a snap shot of finding the Something Within.

B - Believe. I came to Believe in something bigger than myself. Something that held all the mysteries of this life in it's hands (if you will). A belief that everything happens for a reason and that nothing, absolutely nothing happens in this world by mistake. And don't jump on my about the horribly sad shit that happens in this world to us and by us. That is not for me to even try to explain or wrap my head around. It's for that Something that I came to Believe in to straighten out and to make sense out of, someday.

L - Let Go. Technically two words but that would mess up my whole gig here. On a daily basis, I try to Let Go of the little things I desperately hold on to in hopes of "fixing", "being right about", "controlling", on and on. I choose to Let Go of things that really don't mean much at all in the big scope of things. Let Go of the worrying over things I cannot control. Let Go of my past in a loving, learning way. Let Go of my present circumstances, knowing I am right where I am supposed to be. Let Go of my future because really, what can I do about it now? Let Go and let that Something in, just a little bit, to carry some of the load. That's what that Something is there for.

E - Enjoy. Simple, huh? Simply Enjoy the many gifts each day has to offer. That sunrise most of us sleep through or get to busy to notice. The wonder of a snowflake. Watching children play - that's a big one! Your pets. That first cup of coffee. The warm bed you have to crawl into each night. Your family or better yet, your friends. Simple, huh?

S - Sit Back. Yes, relax, chill, take it easy, breathe. That breathing thing took me a while to catch on to. I've practiced sitting back and observing, listening to others rather than interrupting with my thoughts before they escape me, watching the world go by, watching the grass grow. No I'm kidding with that one - I just couldn't resist. Sitting Back and taking time to relax is not easily done for most of us. But try it. Even for a few minutes each day (maybe during that sunrise we're always missing). Sit Back and listen. Listen to what lies within. Listen to the tiny little voice that speaks from your head, your gut, your heart. Just Sit and settle down for a few. See how it feels. You might come like it.

S - Stand Up. I had to get off my tush and Stand Up. I had to Stand Up, for myself, for what I believe in, for my opinions and ideas. Most importantly, I had to Stand Up and be of service to someone else. I had to Stand Up for what my soul belives in, for what I've stuffed down for so long, for doing the right thing. Just Stand up - this works great after sitting back. Once you get grounded, it's cool what you can do, for others, when you finally Stand Up.

E - Empathy. I could only experience Empathy after doing each of the things above. I didn't realize I was doing somewhat of a step thing here but it seems to be working out that way. Cool beans. I started having Empathy for myself and others. I had to open my eyes to the fact that ALL of us are a part of this Human Race, though some of us really should just leave. Emphathy for others where each of us is going through some kind of personal stuggle that effects our moods, our mannerisms, our thoughts. Empathy that it's not all about me and my motives. Knowing each person has something to offer - be it a lesson in gratitude, a different point of view or simply a smile. :)

D - Devotion. Lastly I wanted to mention Devotion. A dedication to consciously being aware of these things, each day. To make an effort to live these things out in my daily routine. A Devotion that I can change my thinking, change my impulsive decision making, change my attitudes. A Devotion to improvement, to betterment (is that a word - brb...going to dictionary.com). Ok, we're good. A Devotion to keeping it simple, having a little fun, not taking myself so seriously and most of all, becoming the person I am supposed to become.

It's in the journey. A good friend reminded me just last night of what Gandhi said "Be the change you want to see in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.