Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Ripple Effect

It all started with an 7-year old's dream. Hayden Daniels of Las Vegas wanted to help those devastated by the earthquake in Haiti. He wrote a letter, his mom took that letter to her women's bible study, the letter worked its way through the hearts of others to make it to the Pastor's sermon. Hundreds of others heard Hayden's dream and launched into doing what they could to help. This was just the beginning.

A lady at the office who attends that church continued the chain by sending out an email to all of us. It was a simple yet moving request to take part in doing what we could to donate gently used shoes to those in Haiti. Hayden's dream continued to grow.

I wanted to join in and help, for very selfish reasons. There was hardly a thing I could do for those in Haiti. It bothered me. After reading the email at work, I knew I had a chance to do my part and relieve that feeling of helplessness.

I asked my local friends in Vegas to pitch in. I sent emails and texts at a very bothersome rate. Wanting "to save the world (again)" is a burdensome desire but it has it's payoffs when I actually turn that desire into action.

Well, my friends pulled through. This blog is for them. For they need to see the ripple effect of how one little boy's letter turned into something amazing. They pitched in and contributed to Hayden's dream.

My friends donated over 100 pairs of shoes to the cause. They didn't bat an eye when I asked for help and they were so glad to do it. It humbled me to know that I was surrounded by such awesome people. How did I get so lucky to know such generous, caring people? Luck has nothing to do with it. It's proof of that Something Within which materializes Itself in my life.

I had the pleasure of meeting Hayden at my daughter's swim school. He is a smart, loving and shy young man that is going places. His parents must be so proud of his using his kind heart for the betterment of others. His dream ended up with 21,000 pairs of shoes being donated graciously to the people of Haiti. If that's not proof that one person can make a difference, I don't know what to say. Young Hayden has become an inspiration to me that I can make a difference too.

I am proud to have had this chance to help. More importantly, to see the strength and love that lives in each and every friend I have been blessed to have. Thank You.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! 21,000? Ripple effect is right! And "trying to save the world" may not be a bad thing. My mother always calls me "Mother Theresa" and says I'm always "going through changes" and "trying to save the world." Really, hearing that from her is starting to get old and I've decided that there's nothing wrong with me being passionate about things in the world that are sad or tragic. There's nothing wrong with me feeling it all the way to my core and in an emotional way. Like with pediatric cancer. That just makes me who I am and it's people like us and little Hayden who are going to make the world a better place. I truly believe that. So, go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.