Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Good Morning

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." ~ Leo F. Buscaglia

I like to read daily devotionals in the morning. I always have 2-3 going at one time but each "meditation" gives me something special.

This morning, I choose to share from "Good Morning, 365 Positive Ways to Start Your Day" by Brooke Noel. If you need a positive shot in the arm each morning to set your day on the right path, I recommend this book.

Today's passage reminded me to keep being me. Often times, I am kind to others, happy-go-lucky, bubbly. More times than not, I do not get an in-kind response. This reminds me of a recent experiment I did at the office that I do not recommend if you don't want a quick trip to self pity land.

I am a receptionist. I wanted to test the "kindness" of others by seeing how many "hellos" and "good mornings" I would receive if I were not the first one to give them out when they walked in. It was a great experience in what not to do.

After receiving just one "Good morning, I'd like a decaf please", out of 19 people, I ended up in a world of self-centeredness and self pity. Not a way to start your long 8-hour work day.

What I had to press on to realize was it's not about me in the first place. Each person that walks into that office has a world of things on their mind. Maybe they are living in a troubled marriage. Maybe their biggest sale is about to fall through. Maybe they are having a bad hair day or their teenager just wrecked the family car. The point here is that it's not up to them to make me happy or to even share nice words. That's not why we are here. When I say here, I don't mean the office, I'm referring to being here, on this Earth for the short time we are.

It's about love. Now, you don't have to like everyone you meet along this path we're all trudging, but it is suggested that we love them. All the major religions in the world have this tucked away in their beliefs somewhere underneath all those man-made law's and must-do's.

It's about giving that smile, that listening ear, that hug, that eye contact. It's not about what we are given back in return. It's my job to take care of myself and to know that I am love. We all are, if we allow ourselves to be.

Even the grumpiest, biggest oof out there can show love, even if it's given out in the meanest, rudest way (trust me on this one).

In closing, here's another quote from Mother Teresa that I have framed on my wall next to where I read in the morning. I don't read it nearly as often as I should. But when I do, it puts things in perspective for me and my day ahead.

"People are often unreasonable and self-centered. FORGIVE THEM ANYWAY.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. BE KIND ANYWAY.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. BE HONEST ANYWAY.
The good you do today many be forgotten tomorrow. DO GOOD ANYWAY.
Give the world the best you have though it may never be enough. GIVE YOUR BEST ANYWAY.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. IT NEVER WAS BETWEEN YOU AND THEM ANYWAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.