Thursday, May 20, 2010

Guest Post from Leslee Horner "Your People"

I met Leslee late last year on Twitter ( @lesleehorner ). I fell in love with her spirit right away. Since then, she's inspired me to become a vegetarian, a meditator, a reader, and a blogger.

Here's a post from her that I am honored to share.

Thank you Leslee for becoming such a great friend and a truly positive and rewarding influence in my life.


Here's a link to her inspirational blog "Waiting for the Click". http://lesleehorner.wordpress.com/


This post was originally written in October 2009.

*Your* People

I had a really hard week this past week. I was totally honest on my blog and it backfired. Well, it didn’t backfire so much as my truth didn’t fit with that of others. There were harsh words spoken (actually written) and I was caught off guard to say the least. But as the image that was held of me crumbled and a couple of “loved ones” fought tooth and nail against the “new” me, a beautiful thing occurred. My readers and friends started to stick up for me. Some of them shared how they could relate to my story. Others simply cheered me on for speaking up. A few defended me in a way that made their love and concern clear to me. And I had the incredible realization that I was finding *my* people.

I think attraction works in two ways, you attract those that are opposite and those that are like you. As you bring these people into your existence you are made acutely aware of what is in your heart. When you are with your opposites, you feel assaulted, uncomfortable, and uncertain. Their presence makes you question yourself. They make you take a closer look at what you value and desire in life. When you meet with your matches, you feel excited, loved, and ALIVE. You see all of their beauty and you want to wrap yourself up in it. They reflect everything good about you and you fall in love, not just with them but with who you are in their presence.

I believe that when you embrace who you really are - your passions, flaws, talents, mistakes - you begin to open up. Being authentic seems to send out some signal to the rest of the world. Suddenly, before your eyes people start showing up who share your beliefs and desires. You are suddenly aware that you are not alone and that you belong to a tribe.

I believe that all of us have a tribe. Sometimes your tribe consists of family or friends that have been with you from your earliest days. Sometimes it’s people who left and have returned. I’m also finding it can be made up of people from all over the world, some of whom you may never see face to face. But *your* people are definitely out there and the key to finding them is being true to yourself. Your peace and happiness are not worth compromising.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.