Friday, May 21, 2010

Proud Mommy

There are many days when my Riri makes me proud. Sometimes the little stinker brings me to tears with the stuff she comes up with.

Today is one of those days.

Today marks her last date at the school she's been blessed to have attended for a whole year. She started out as a "follower" as her teachers put it. It was a big concern of mine as I projected into the future constantly that she would "follow" others down the wrong paths in life, as yours truly did.

Tonight is her big Pre-K graduation ceremony up on stage in front of all the mommies and daddies and extended families. I'll be tucked in the crowd somewhere but I know she'll find me and blow kisses my way throughout the entire show. I can't wait.


Attached is just one page from her report card. Don't look at it yet. Keep reading. Geez...you're just like me - let's get to the good stuff, N.O.W.!! Read on...

Today, Riri's teachers are commenting that she is a strong leader, no longer a follower. They focused this year mainly on helping her make the right choices. Good, that's what good teachers do. Blessed to have found this little school when we did.

Being a single mom has brought on many self-induced fears. Am I doing right by Riri? Am I raising her the best way I know how? Is she getting all she needs?

I have asked myself too many times "Is her father's choice of leaving and not being in her life turning out to be a bad thing?" "Do I need to listen to others when I hear their comments about how a child should have their father in their life, no matter what?" "Am I a good mom that is raising a confident, strong, happy young woman?"

Well, today I received the best gift a mommy like me could get - a great report from her teachers.

Don't get me wrong, there is work to be done on her excessive talking, her fidgetting in learning time, her being a bit too bossy and manipulative. There's also a check mark next to "Lies to obtain items. favors, or to avoid taking responsibility" which will definitely be discussed and worked on at home, pronto.

Ok, now go read the snipet from her report. I'll wait...

Frequency Code (per month): 0 = Never 1 = Occasionally 2 = Often 3 = Excessive

Feelings about Self and Others
1. Is sad, unhappy, or withdrawn 0
2. Is fearful, anxious, or worried 0
3. Feels lonely, unwanted, or complains that no one loved them 0
4. Is overly sensitive or easily annoyed by others 0
5. Blames self for problems or feels guilty 0
6. Shows signs of perfectionism, crosses out or erases constantly,
rips papers up and throws them away 0
7. Self-conscious, easily embarrassed or shy 0
8. Does not regularly interact with peers 0


Thank you to my Mother for paying Ri's tuition since she entered daycare at 1 years of age. It really paid off.

Thank you to my Jenniflower for helping me be the great sober mommy I have become.

Thank you to my friends that believe in what I'm doing as a single mom and don't give a rat's patootie about her not having her father around.

I don't have to bother telling those that have a problem with it to kiss off because they don't read my blogs anyway. If they can't see how amazing Ri is, we don't need them around anyhow.

This post is dedicated to my Higher Power that picked me up by the scruf one morning a little over 2 years ago, said "Enough, is enough - I have plans for you child" and put me back on my feet and on a path towards freedom, love and friendship. TUGAAWD.

And for my Riley...you inspire me to laugh everyday, to show my love to everyone I come across and to be myself. You amaze me with your beauty, your humor, your smile.

I wish I could protect you from all the harm you will face as you grow but I cannot take those learning experiences away from you. God is with you as He was always with me. I love you baby girl more than I can say. Thank you for picking me to be your Mom.

6 comments:

  1. Awwwww! This is an awesome post! I didn't realize you were a single mom, honestly, but I am sort of clueless. Not only am I so proud of your daughter, I am so proud of you.

    I know how tough it is to be a single Mom and I ask myself the same questions you brought up almost every day.

    You truly are an inspiration... You & your daughter of how important it is to keep smiling even when it gets really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only are you an amazing Mommy but you are an inspirational and wonderful human. Thanks for sharing Riri's special day and story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! It's so hard to be a single mom, wondering if you are doing the right thing. I can tell you are raising a strong, confidant young woman. Good Job! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin in NCMay 21, 2010

    Yippie!! This will hopefully the first of many graduation pics... high school...college...med school...law school...

    It is amazing to me that our little girls are reaching this milestone (Amelia "graduates" on June 4th). I am glad I am better with children than I am with house plants.

    I will never forget the day you told me that you were preggers...or the day that you found out that Bean was a girl...when we drove cross country*...or the day that she was born all folded in half and spring loaded (ya gotta love breach-babies)...I remember her first Christmas and birthday party. Bunches of little Riri memories...and so many more to come.

    Jenny, you are doing such a great job raising her. As for her genetic contributer, who knows. I know completly well-adjusted people who were raised by a single parent...and I know some totally screwed up people who had both parents in their life. The way I see it...what will be will be. We can only do the best we can under any given circumstance with the tools that are available to us. She is 5...lying and manipulation is in the job description...but how wonderful it is to know that she is exhibiting so many other traits that will help her mature in to a wonderful adult.

    I know that my job as a mother is to help my children become good adults that are honest, loving and positive contributions to society...but some times I think I will be lucky if I just manage to teach them not to be the basket case with all kinds of crazy baggage that there mother is...

    Hooray for Riri!! Hooray for Jenny!! Hooray for single (and not single) Mommies (and Daddies) that have chosen to be the best parents they can be in a world full of uncertainties and insecurities. Hooray for the parents, other caregivers and teachers that have chosen to love and teach and better our world through unconditional love and unconditional acceptance.

    Love Rocks!

    (Or should I say, Lvoe rocks!?! haha lalalalala).


    PS. For all the blog readers out there...cross country road trips in the summer (or probably any time) with a woman who is six months pregnant is NOT recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny & Riri ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to both of you!! Be confident that just by asking all these questions you are totally doing the right thing and you are being a great mom!

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.