Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Practice What You Preach ~ Trish's Post

I met Trish on Twitter. My greatest jewels have come from that social network. She caught my eye when I saw her posts about raising awareness and money for St. Baldrick's and that she was going to shave her head for Children's Cancer. I fell in love and the rest is history. I am pleased to introduce you to my Trish.


Practice What You Preach
By: Trish Christie


I was given an open invitation to write. To a “non-writer”, that’s terrifying!


I’m more of an editor, not a writer.


Hmmm… that sentence says a lot about me. A lot that I’m not sure I like. I critique and analyze what other people do, but am I writing the life story I want to live? No. How can I go about changing that? I certainly do not want my daughter to grow up with my negative attitude. I want her to help others, not compare herself to anyone, and write her own story. Oh sure, I have my moments when I help others. I’m not a total bitch all the time, but I have a LONG way to go before I have an attitude I can be proud of.


First off- I can practice what I preach. From eating healthier, to flossing my teeth, to being nice, to not comparing myself to others- good gravy! The list could go on forever! I need to never again utter the words “do as I say, not as I do”. That’s setting a terrible example! I am embarrassed to say that I have said these words TO MY THREE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!!! While I know I’m not a terrible mother, I do feel extremely guilty about not being the best role model I possibly can be for my child. Things to change: my diet, my attitude towards others, and my self- image.



Diet: I eat junk food. I eat it in front of my daughter while I make her eat slightly more healthy items. I drink a ton of soda. I make my daughter drink only milk or water. Wow, just looking at those words on the computer screen make me feel about the size of Jiminy Cricket. Terrible! Hypocrisy is a pet peeve of mine and yet I excel at it (ironic, huh?). Things will be changing. I need to take care of myself the same way I take care of my baby. I am worthy.


Attitude: There is this girl at work… (isn’t there always at least one person at work who just drives you totally bonkers?) and as far as I’m concerned, she can do nothing right. True, she’s not an easy person to get along with, but I don’t even try anymore. Maybe treating her the way I want to be treated is the answer to my dilemma. Could it really be as simple as the golden rule “do onto others as you would have them do unto you”? My guess is no, but it’s worth a shot, right? Obviously what I’m doing now isn’t helping and it’s making work miserable.


Self-image: When I look in the mirror, I am disgusted. I am overweight, have crazy coarse gray hair, saggy boobs, pimples on my face, spider veins on my legs, and hairy legs. Yes, it’s true- those things are there. My mirror doesn’t totally lie. BUT- there are good things too that get overlooked. Things such as freckles, clean teeth, a nice butt, tattoos that have meanings, beautiful big blue eyes, and enough hair to keep my head warm. I don’t want to look at the world through rose-colored glasses, but I do need to look at it with a clear head. Take the good with the bad. If my daughter looked in the mirror and thought of herself the way I think of myself, I would cry.


I have my work cut out for me. I know I can do it though. I deserve to be the best possible me and my daughter deserves to have a mother of whom she can be proud.


So- ask yourself:

How can I live out my life story to the fullest?

1 comment:

Share Your Thoughts...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.